The Upper Grand District School Board has honoured nine groups and individuals as this year’s “Everyday Heroes.”
Those recognized at a May 28 ceremony and reception in the E. L. Fox Auditorium at John F. Ross Collegiate included parent volunteers, a school office coordinator, educational assistants, a teacher and an early childhood educator.
The winners from Guelph and area are:
• The Sullivan family – Andrew, Catherine and sons Sam, Jack and Ben – who are school volunteers at Westwood school
• school office coordinator Renate Smith and parent volunteers Kathy Dalziel, Nicole Hammond Breese, Rhonda Alaire and Kristy Shelhorn at Brant Avenue school
• Martha MacNeil, a Parent Involvement Committee co-chair and parent volunteer at Victory school
• Trevolyn Louttet, an educational assistant for English language learners at Mitchell Woods school
• Deb Drake, a parent volunteer at Rockwood Centennial school
• Kathy Cunningham, an educational assistant at Elora school.
The criteria for the annual awards are performance at a high level at all times, significant school or system achievement, or a unique circumstance worth recognition, a news release said.