Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
All-nighter a no-go

The all-night arts extravaganza known as a Nuit Blanche, which was added to the Guelph Jazz Festival in 2010, won’t be happening this year.
“Our dedicated funding for Nuit Blanche has run out, so unfortunately we weren’t able to commit to mounting a full-scaled Nuit Blanche as part of this year’s festival,” says artistic director Ajay Heble.
“We do, however, have a late-night strand of programming happening on the Saturday night during the festival at Silence, 46 Essex St.,” he said in an email sent in response to a Tribune query. “It’ll go almost all night and start up again early in the morning.”
There is a lot of interest in Nuit Blanche in Guelph, and festival organizers have met with “some partner groups who’ve expressed interest in keeping it going for future years,” he said.
However, “given the wonderful momentum we’d established with our last several years of Nuit Blanche during the festival, I’m very sad that we can’t offer it during this year’s edition.”
After three years of full-scale all-night events, Nuit Blanche was scaled back last year. At that time, Heble said the pull-back resulted from a lack of “dedicated funding” from the provincial government and the Ontario Trillium Foundation for the fourth annual Nuit Blanche in 2013. The local Nuit Blanche was almost entirely free, unlike the rest of the Guelph Jazz Festival, so its cost couldn’t be offset by ticket-sale revenue.

Comments are closed.

Guelph Top Jobs
HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca