Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
City takes time to mull ruling, possible appeal

By Jessica Lovell
Guelph Tribune
The city now has the reasons that it was found liable in the Urbacon court case, but the city has no plans to comment on those reasons just yet.
A statement from the office of the chief administrative officer, released Tuesday afternoon, said city staff will review the court document before briefing council in a closed session meeting on June 23.
The document includes the reasons for Justice Donald MacKenzie’s March 31 ruling in a case between the city and Urbacon Buildings Group Corp. of Toronto.
The contractor, which had been awarded a $42-million contract for the construction of the new city hall and for the conversion of old city hall into a provincial courthouse, filed a $20-million breach-of-contract lawsuit after being fired from the job in September 2008 due to delays.
The judge had ruled in favour of Urbacon, but had reserved the reasons for his decision. Those reasons were delivered to the city Tuesday afternoon in a 64-page document, the city statement said. “The city will be prepared to comment on the document after council has been briefed,” it said.
The document, which can be found online at bit.ly/1iaotiu, does not include details about the amount of damages to be paid. The amount to be paid is the subject of a further trial scheduled for October if the issue cannot be resolved in an alternative dispute-resolution forum, the statement said.
The city has reserved the right to appeal the court’s ruling.

Comments are closed.

Guelph Top Jobs
HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca