Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Submitted

Ice storm

The cards that have not been distributed will be returned to the Red Cross, in accordance with the agreement between the province and the Red Cross

Grocery card program sees $16,000 not used

County of Wellington Social Services wrapped up distribution of grocery cards to victims of December’s ice storm having handed out only a portion of the cards.
“The county is pleased to have assisted in the distribution of 907 grocery cards to 478 households,” director of Ontario Works Stuard Beumer said in a news release.
The county was initially given $61,400 in grocery gift cards when it was announced that the ice storm relief program was to be extended to communities outside of Toronto last week. A little more than $16,000 is left over.
The cards were meant to help people in financial need who had lost food because of power outages caused by the storm. Locally, they were to be distributed from Jan. 7 to 9, but the deadline to apply was extended to Jan. 10.
By the end of the day Friday, $45,350 in cards had been distributed to households in Wellington County and Guelph.
The cards that have not been distributed will be returned to the Red Cross, in accordance with the agreement between the province and the Red Cross, the release said.
“I’d like to thank all of the county who pulled together to deliver this assistance program on a very short notice,” said Beumer.

Comments are closed.

Guelph Top Jobs
HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca