Grassroots hosts barbecue, another candidate in Ward 6 and fight with city hall sees candidacy:
All candidates invited
GrassRoots Guelph, which will host a “Meet the Candidates BBQ” on Thursday Sept. 18, says it plans to organize candidate debates in every ward before the Oct. 27 civic election.
The organization, which opposes the current direction at city hall and wants to see Mayor Karen Farbridge denied a fourth term, will host the 5:30-9 p.m. event at the Guelph Golf and Curling Club, 133 Woodlawn Rd. E.
The public, GrassRoots Guelph members and supporters, and all registered mayoral, city council and school board candidates are invited to attend, said a news release Thursday.
The event will “allow residents to meet registered candidates in an informal setting, and also to meet other Guelphites who share their interest in municipal government and the future of our city,” the release said.
Later on, GrassRoots Guelph will organize candidate debates in every ward, it said. Dates and locales for these debates will be posted on the group’s website, www.grassrootsguelph.ca
Tickets for the BBQ, which can be bought from the website or by calling 519-837-4010, will cost more at the door. Lower-priced student tickets are available only at the door.
Ticket prices do not include a donation to GrassRoots Guelph, because this event is not a fundraiser, the release said. However, ticket prices do include a raffle ticket for a door prize. People who bring donations for the Guelph Food Bank will be given an extra raffle ticket, it said.
Words into action
A man whose name is familiar to readers of Tribune letters to the editor is running for a Ward 6 seat on city council.
“The current council is too often dominated by a mayor and seven like-minded councillors promoting a social engineering agenda to the detriment of the majority of citizens,” says Glen Tolhurst.
“The continued spending of taxpayers’ money on projects that are of little, if any, benefit to the majority of Guelph citizens and particularly those in Ward 6 cannot be permitted to continue,” he said in an email to the Tribune. He describes himself as a professional engineer with an MBA who has close to 30 years’ experience in manufacturing operations management and 10 years of experience as a self-employed “lean management” consultant.
Incumbent councillors Karl Wettstein and Todd Dennis are both seeking re-election in Ward 6. Also running are Mark MacKinnon and Keith Poore.
Scrap sees candidacy
A man who filed last week to seek a Ward 5 council seat says a big reason for his running is a four-year fight he has waged with city hall over a yard maintenance bylaw.
“I am running because I have fought a four-year battle with the city, my city, over actions they have taken and continue to take against their own citizens. In a nutshell, they created a bylaw that allows them to come onto your property, tell you what is or is not ‘debris’ and you have no options,” Dimitrios Jim Galatianos said in an email to the Tribune. “You are guilty because the city tells you that you are guilty, and that is the end of it,” he said.
Galatianos ran in Ward 3 in the 2010 civic election and finished fifth in a six-candidate field. He became the third candidate for Ward 5’s two seats in the election next month when he filed his nomination papers two days after Coun. Lise Burcher withdrew.
Still running, in addition to Galatianos, are Coun. Leanne Piper and former councillor Cathy Downer.
The deadline to file, or withdraw, nomination papers for city council, mayor and the two school boards is Friday Sept. 12 at 2 p.m.